Bromsgrove Baptist Church was founded in 1666 by John Eccles, a young clothier from Bewdley. John and the early members of the church suffered considerably for their Nonconformist views – one member was even thrown into jail! Despite this, or perhaps because of it, the church grew and started many other Baptist Churches in the surrounding area and in nearby Birmingham.
1880 – 1976: The 1st building on the current site
Since the seventeenth century the congregation has met in at least seven different buildings around the town, and the current building is the third on the New Road site. It was completed in 1990.
The picture to the left was the first building on the current site. Building work started in 1866 and opened for worship in 1867. The hall as its currently known, but known then as the school rooms opened in 1888. Building work commenced on building number two, (pictured below) in 1976, but didn’t open until 1978.
1978 – 1988: The 2nd building on the current site